In honor of valentines day I made this scarf rack for my girlfriend. I had made her one previously but she had so many scarves that she quickly out grew it. I thought that since she needed another one I would take the chance to improve on a past project and make the once you see above in the embedded video. Its much simpler but better in many ways than my original design. If you have a lady in your life that has an inordinate amount of scarves, like I do, this is a great woodworking gift idea that can be made in a single weekend in the shop. If your the reading type continue scrolling and read the detailed tutorial below but if you would rather watch me do it click on the video linked above and see me build it. Let’s get started!
This entire project is built from scrap 2 x 4 dimensional lumber cut-offs that I had laying around from past projects.
I first measured than marked the 2 x 4’s to a rough size, longer then the finished length. This will give me some wiggle room during the glue-up stage of this project.
I cut them to length at the miter saw.
Using my jointer I square one edge to one face on each 2 x 4. This ensures that I have square edges when gluing these 2 x 4’s together.
With the jointed face facing down towards the bed of my planer, I plane all the 2 x 4’s to thickness. Following the process of jointing then planing allows you to keep both top and bottom surfaces parallel to one another. Otherwise the faces of your material will be on different planes, making alignment almost impossible during glue-up.
At the table saw I cut each 2 x 4 plank down to a width slightly larger than their final dimension.
Making my way back to the jointer, I joint the freshly cut edge making it smooth and square. This completes the milling process. It is long and sometimes tedious but it pays off in the end.
The joinery for this project are simple butt joints. I contemplated using biscuits but being that the forces exerted on this panel are almost nothing, when being used, I figured it would be overkill. Plus these planks are short and thin enough that alignment during this glue-up process wouldn’t be an issue.
Lite pressure with some bar clamps is all that is needed to bring the planks together with flawless seams.
Using my cross-cut sled I first square up one edge of the panel then cut it to length.
After marking the hole locations I use my drill press and a 3/4″ Forstner bit to dill the holes needed to attach the dowels. This would have been easier and more accurate if I had had a drill press table to utilize but unfortunately I didn’t. Although I did this part freehand in a sense, my lines were still very straight.
I routed an ogee profile on the edge of the panel using my router table. This concludes all the woodworking that needs to be done to this panel. Its time to move on to the dowel hangers.
Making the dowel hangers is a two step process, I first round them over using a 1/4″ round over bit at my router table.
I then cut them to length at the miter saw. This process is repeated as many times as necessary until all the dowel hangers are made.
Here’s what the panel looks like with the dowels inserted.
Given that this scarf rack needs some way to hang on the wall I need to route some slots for the hardware that I will be using. I do this with my router equipped with an edge guide. I use a half inch upcut bit to route the slots.
Here is a closer look at the hardware I will be using.
To make life easier I am sanding before assembling this project. I use my random orbit sander and 120-grit sandpaper to smooth everything out.
Assembly is pretty straight forward. I simply dab glue in each dowel hole, insert the dowel, then square it to the base using an accurate square.
I’m staining this project with a brush-on stain called Sedona Red. As this stain is alcohol based and very thin, I apply multiple coats before applying a finish.
I used a spar urethane as a finish for this project. Like the stain, I apply many coats to make this surface very durable. Because of the rubbing motion of taking scarves on and off the rack I wanted to ensure that the finish was strong.
Here is the finished product. This was a fun project and my girlfriend loved the new design. I wish I had taken pictures of my previous design while building it so you guys could have some sort of comparison but unfortunately I didn’t. Let me know what you think in the comment section below or on the comment section of my YouTube post for this video. I always love hearing what people think of my videos and projects. If you want to support my channel and what I do here on my website please take the time to subscribe to my channel. By doing so you will receive updates when future video’s are posted. If you want to see what goes on behind the scenes subscribe to my Instagram account, I post project updates almost daily when in the middle of a build. As always thank you for reading.
Microsoft Word Document